80th SAMA National Conference and AGM,
1 to 3 November 2016 – Pretoria
Conference theme: “Museums and Cultural Landscapes”
(ICOM’s International Museums Day 2016 theme)
‘The theme Museums and Cultural Landscapes makes museums responsible for their landscapes, asking them to contribute knowledge and expertise and take an active role in their management and upkeep. The primary mission of museums is to oversee heritage, whether it be inside or outside their walls. Their natural vocation is to expand their mission and implement their own activities in the open field of cultural landscape and heritage that surrounds them and for which they can assume varying degrees of responsibility. ‘ (from ICOM website)
Relevant topics related to the theme include:
- Museums in diverse communities.
- How do museums contribute to bridging the gaps between different cultures?
- Using technology to attract new audiences.
- New educational programmes, new displays making use of new technology etc
- Museums and outreach
- Social responsibility/ community involvement/ museums making a difference in their community
- Museum education
- What is new/ different/ problematic? New initiatives?
- Museums in a tough economy
- What financial problems are museums experiencing? New solutions/ innovative ways to generate funding for projects
Registration details and forms available from Nikki Haw at firstname.lastname@example.org
The previous SAMA National Conference was held in Durban, during October 2015.